Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Dutch East India Company Building

The logo of the Dutch East India Company is located above the doorway
Vereenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie or VOC, the D is for Delft

interesting shutters stand out from the side of the building
The historical information about the Dutch East India Company is worth revisiting.  I had forgotten most of what I was taught in school about this.  I'm posting two links, the first is a description of the company, and the second is (I hope) info about Vermeer's painting "A View of Delft".  The red-roofed warehouse on the left side of the painting is the warehouse for the Dutch East India Company.  This is what happens when you spend enough time hanging out with a Vermeer expert:  painting trivia!


Jan_Vermeer_van_Delft_001.jpg


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Please drop me a line!