Friday, April 24, 2009

Printing on unconventional materials

Silk/cotton cloth that was pinned under the disposable washcloths during printing

Facial cloths with various colors and script dye-printed onto them

A single cloth, printed 3 separate times with thickened dye

While I am busily working in the studio on 3 different projects (deadlines! deadlines!) I am ruminating about how I will construct a piece with the dyed facial cloths and the "dropcloth" I positioned underneath them.  I fell in love with the wonderful patterning created during the printing.  
These were accomplished using a small (8x8 inch screen area) silkscreen.  First, I wrote over the silkscreen using thickened dye extruded from a curved dental syringe.  Second, I pulled the (slightly thicker) dye across the damp "writing" which created a blurred, but still somewhat legible, script.  I am not interested in whether my script can be literally interpreted.
I was definitely telling a story, but I am not motivated by whether the viewer can understand all of it.  I would rather that the viewer is drawn in and finds his or her own meaning.  I love the effect of writing on surfaces, whether it is graffiti or carefully written calligraphy.  
The images you see in this post are unfinished.  Where will they go next?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Please drop me a line!