Thursday, January 6, 2011

Wise Words...



The following is an excerpt from an online interview of Laura Cater-Woods for "ONE", taken from Virginia Spiegel's blog:
What advice do you have for artists who are seeking their unique voice or direction in their own artwork?
Do the work. Do a lot of work. Look at art, listen to music, see live performance in areas outside your particular focus. Read. Do more work. Do enough work to make a lot of mistakes. Risk. Play. Sit quietly for a few minutes every days and just watch the light change. Pay attention.
Go make something.
Your voice is always with you. By giving the extraneous stuff a chance to get made and out of your head, your direction and voice will emerge. It is unavoidable.
Truer words were never written.  This is the ongoing mantra at Art Cloth Studios.  Just do the work.  Do it when you are inspired, and especially when you are not.  Something will bubble up.  
Please take a moment and stop over to read Laura's interview.  She never fails to inspire me, especially now.  The fight against cancer was never more personal.

2 comments:

  1. She is amazing & her words ring sooo true. Thank you for sharing them. I am always inspired when I read your blog & see what you're up to!
    Can't wait to see you in Long Beach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed reading Laura's comments, Stacy. I can't wait to see you, too!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers! Please drop me a line!