Friday, October 14, 2011

St. Petersburg FL and the Dali Museum

I am visiting the beautiful city of St. Petersburg, Florida, for the annual Art Cloth Network gathering.  The reason we are meeting here this year is that it is home to fellow-member Linda Dawson.
We start our meeting tomorrow, but today we had the pleasure of wandering around a bit.  We walked the lovely shoreline near the yacht club and ended up at the Dali museum.  I must admit:  Dali was never a favorite artist.  Surrealism interests me, but I have never understood it.  I can't say for sure that I understand all of it, but I will say that seeing this amazing collection has really cemented a new respect for Dali and his work.  There is nothing like seeing the progression of an individual's art to better understand them.  The museum does that in a similar manner to the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam.
The museum is structurally beautiful with a style that befits the work inside.
Here are a few shots of the area:



I love the juxtaposition of the natural and man-made shapes 
living wall near the entryway

inside the museum

Is it me, or does this look like a dragon face without skull or hair?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Please drop me a line!