Saturday, October 22, 2011

The Power Suit Challenge

Power Suits:Art Quilt Challenge
104 Quilt Artists Interpret the Theme “Power Suits”

Alexandria, Virginia, September 28, 2011 - On October 22, 2011, over 100 art quilts based on the theme “Power Suits” will debut at Artistic Artifacts in Alexandria, VA.

When a local tailor contacted Cyndi Souder to offer her his outdated fabric swatches, a quilt challenge was born. Teaming with friend and associate Judy Gula (owner, Artistic Artifacts), Souder developed a theme, packaged swatches, and offered them for free to interested quilters. Distributing challenge packets at quilt shows, lectures, and online through their blogs and websites, Souder and Gula invited quilters to express their take on Power Suits through their artwork. The resulting quilts address such diverse topics as politics, family, worklife, playing cards, and super heroes.

Says Souder, “These are not your grandmother’s quilts. These 18” square quilts address a wide array of topics and work on a variety of levels. The theme seemed to have universal appeal and our quilters had a lot to say. We were wowed each time we opened another package.”

Take a look at the website! 
www.PowerSuitQuilts.com

When I received the invitation to participate, all I could think of was the movie, "Working GIrl", starring Melanie Griffith.  So, with that in mind I created a quilt entitled, 

"The 80's Power Suit:  She Works Hard For The Money"

detail

To create this quilt I visited a Goodwill store to find an "80's-era power jacket":  large shoulder pads in a bright color.  I used a shirt and tie from my old office-wear.  Wow, did I struggle with how to manipulate this under the machine!  I could have used an industrial-strength sewing machine for this project due to the thickness of layers and the materials involved.  Maybe I'm just a masochist, but I had a great time figuring it out and I am very happy with the results:  the quilt says what I wanted it to say.  Please take a few minutes and stop by the website.  


Lisa Quintana was kind enough to permit me to repost one of her photos that was taken at the opening reception.  Please stop by her blog to see even more great shots of the reception and some close-ups of other quilts.  She agreed to let me post this photo, which shows my quilt hanging on the lower row:



3 comments:

  1. I love what you did here!! Great colors and I love that Tie!!! the Opening was a great time- the only downside was that all of the artists could not be there!!! I have blogged about the whole thing with lots of pictures, if you want to see more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That movie was on this weekend! How cool is your quilt!?! Awesome, like, totally 80s!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth, I certainly DO want to see pictures! Would you mind sending me a link?
    Cheryl, back at ya with your quilt: love it. I meant to ask you to tell your FIL about my husband being at the pinball event in Chicago. He was there.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers! Please drop me a line!