Friday, June 7, 2013

A Few Bits from the SDA conference

Today was a honey:  the speakers at the SDA conference here in San Antonio were so great!
This morning started with keynote speaker Janet Echelman.  Oh my goodness.  I still get crazy goosebumps just thinking about it.  I snagged this image from her website because you just have to see one of the sculptures she creates.  This particular installation is right around the corner from the hotel my husband and I always stay in when we travel together to Amsterdam for a trade show (for his business: I get to go for fun).  I would so love to see this in place and wonder how long it will be there!
Here is a link to her TED talk about her installations.

The story of her artistic path is really interesting. 
Here she is with Robert Rauschenberg

I loved this quote that was part of her talk.
The numerous vendors at the conference are offering all sorts of beautiful things:
clothing, yarn, wool roving, threads, beads, stencils, vintage textiles: both Japanese and Indian.
Tonight's trunk show was astonishing.  I was volunteering in the book store or I would have gotten into even more trouble than I did!

This evening's speaker was Michael James.
His presentation was surprisingly touching.
His work has greatly inspired me over the years.


I apologize for the quality of the images at the bottom, but I couldn't/wouldn't use flash here!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Please drop me a line!