My first project using these gorgeous colors involves a baby quilt. I co-hosted a shower for a young (LA Modern Guild) friend recently, and decided to pre-fuse the fabric with Mistyfuse, then die-cut circles and flower petals in a selection of colors she is using in the nursery. Each shower guest was asked to write a word describing a characteristic they hope the baby will have. I used Pentel gel roller fabric pens for this and they worked beautifully. For ease of use, I temporarily fused the die cuts onto squares of parchment.
The fabric on the left is stretched over a canvas for nursery decor. I am basing the baby quilt colors on it.
A close-up image of one of the shot cottons. Gorgeous!
After fusing the cloth sections are doubled up and die-cut with my Go! cutter
I cut 4.5 inch squares from all these prints.
The flowers & circles will be fused onto the squares after the shower.
Rather than a traditional batting I have decided to use one layer of diaper gauze to keep this lighter in weight. This is, after all, a California baby. I also know that the baby has received two other beautiful quilts!
die-cuts fused temporarily onto parchment squares....
After piecing the quilt top the die-cuts were fused to the surface
Two sections of diaper gauze yardage were zig-zagged together for the "batting".
This stuff is lovely! (although I found out later that it causes a lot of tension issues when I attempted to free-motion quilt it!)
I pinned the quilt top to the gauze.
I decided to pillowcase the quilt and avoid the additional bulk that a binding would create. Therefore, I pinned the gauze to the quilt top-only, stitched the quilt back (right sides together) around the perimeter and left an opening. The quilt was turned right side out and the opening hand-stitched closed. The edges were steam-pressed and re-pinned.
I found that I had to use my regular presser foot (#1) and use feed dogs up to stitch this quilt together.