I had a pieced top that I wasn't sure what to do with (it was an experiment) so I decided to quilt it to use for the pillow. Rather than putting a backing on it, I decided to quilt the top using only a low-loft batting. My thinking was that it would be softer and more pliable this way.
After quilting the top, I measured it for the pillow form and cut the length I needed. Because I planned to fold one edge over, envelope-style, I took this into account. I fussy-cut the exposed end and satin-stitched the exposed edge. The inside edge was folded over just enough to hide the edge, then stitched into place before the sides were sewn together.
Once I determined the needed length to accommodate the pillow size I folded the right sides together and pinned. Before stitching, I finished the opening edges. Once the sides were stitched together I trimmed the corners closely, then turned it right side out.
Just turned right-side out. You can see that I created a "flap" for the finished edge.
The buttonholes are asymmetrical, and I had to custom create the holes because of the huge
diameter of the buttons!
I like the wavy, lacy effect of the double satin-stitched edge. I decided to
do two layers of the satin stitch so it was nice and thick.
Detail of button and flap
Inside of flap
I created a cloth "bag" which is actually another pillow cover!
A sale tag, which I had previously monoprinted and inked
I used double-sided tape to stick one of my MOO cards on the reverse side of the sale tag.
I like this card: it is a detail of a collaborative acrylic painting
The pillow is "wrapped", then tied with a length of sari silk yarn.
Hint: this is a fun and easy way to utilize a few "UFO"s you might have laying around. I had such a good time making this I think I will make a few more!