Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Butterflies enjoy the lovely weather

a gorgeous Monarch graces the cosmos flowers


this guy, along with a huge black swallowtail butterfly,
have been drifting around the garden today


(this photo courtesy of the National Butterfly Center)


I am pleased to see that the recent rain has assisted in speeding along the germination of my wildflower bed.  I have loads of tiny seedlings making an appearance.  I think this bodes well for the entire Hill Country-area wildflower crop next spring:  it all comes down to getting rain in the right amounts & intervals during the fall season.

I was talking to my daughter on the phone while this butterfly was wafting about.  She told me it makes her happy that I send photos of the garden to her (she is in college far away @ SUNY Purchase).
I think it helps her feel connected to home.

I didn't know that South Texas is recognized as America's Butterfly Center!  I found this informative website about the varieties that can be found in this area:  http://www.naba.org/chapters/nabast/index.html


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Please drop me a line!