Thursday, July 25, 2019

Kenya: Part 4

Soon after Amboseli we drove to a new area in the Rift Valley, north of Nairobi.  There, we stayed at a lodge in the Ol Pejeta Conservancy.  This area had the coolest, literally and figuratively, accommodations we experienced, in my opinion.  We had tents, but they were tricked out with flushing toilets and running water for sink and shower use.  We still had to be wary of drinking any of the tap water.  Since we were in an elevation it got cool at night.  I was so delighted!  After all the heat of the previous accommodations and no relief at night I can tell you I slept like a baby while we were here.  Yes, still hot during the day, but it was glorious sleeping and so beautiful!
This is the name of our camp.


On our first game drive we saw a lioness laying on the side of the road, complete unperturbed about our presence.  We soon discovered she was hanging out because the male was out of the enclosure on the opposite side of the game fence.  We saw him peeking through the bushes!



We also saw our first jackals....

elephant family at a watering hold.  I was fascinated with all the circadian pathways across the land.
I hope I can find a better shot of them.  They were beautiful in their seeming randomness.

Inside details of our tent.


The sky was beyond gorgeous each night!

On our "front porch"!

We did feel like we were having such a great, authentically African experience here!

We drove to Laikipia to visit a women's weaving collective.
They demonstrated how they take the wool from pelt, to carding, spinning, dyeing, and weaving.
We were able to purchase wall-hangings and scarves.  
I'm posting their business card here.




my purchases..

Later, we visited a Rhino rescue sanctuary.
This black rhino (above) is blind.

These two rhinos are the LAST of the known Northern white rhinos.
They are poached almost to the brink of extinction for their horns, 
falsely believed to enhance sexual performance by certain groups of
very misguided people.  It is horrifying. 
As our guides said:  Until there is no market there will be poaching.
They work tirelessly to prevent it but that is the bottom line.


I stood on the equator! (here with my traveling companion)

The nights we were in the Rift Valley were among the most beautiful I've ever seen.

But this early morning sky (below)....

looking through a low and widespread acacia tree.

Gasp!

These were taken with my iPhone, no filter.
I'm pretty sure I cried.

We visited the Jane Goodall chimpanzee rescue facility located near us.  
Despite the fact that chimpanzees are not indigenous to this area, Ms. Goodall established
this facility to rescue from surrounding places.
It is a tragedy when you hear the stories of how these animals were living prior to their rescue.
Now they roam freely in the conservatory and their health is closely monitored.


Time to move again.  Now, we are off to Samburu!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Please drop me a line!