Tuesday, January 2, 2018

2017 Retrospective-First Quarter

Ah!  A New Year!  First: A Look Back At A Few High Points from 2017!

I love to take a brief glance back at some of the events of the previous year.  In combing through my photos and journal (I actually kept a running journal using the "Day One" app almost every day last year, beginning on 1/31/16!) I am able to do a bit of reverse time-travel.

January

Teaching workshops at Craft Napa, Napa California


The weather was cook, rainy, and foggy.  It was great!

Students working in the "Intro To Improv" workshop


One of the beautiful fields of grapevines seen everywhere in the Napa-area.
---------------------
Each January for the past 16 years I've been part of a week-long
Independent Study. This year my friend Jeannie and I opted to 
explore natural dyeing (something I know nothing about BTW).




We made a swatch catalog for our experiments.


------------------------

I continued my design work for the newest line of fabric, "Urban Garden",
which launched last fall at Quilt Market in Houston.
This drops in stores in Market so be watching for it!  

Loads of immersion dyeing, in addition to printing and over-printing,
happened in the studio.


------------------

Work completed in my oldest daughter's bedroom,
which needed a bit of paint, etc..

----------------

February




the first week of February brought Libs Elliott to the San Antonio
Modern guild for a program and workshop.

I am inspired by my garden in every season.




....and more printing and shibori dyeing

 Then, to Savannah for Quiltcon!


"Boulder Field", created with Urban Artifacts fabric by Kathy York,
was juried into the show.



 .....and after Savannah I took a little road trip with two friends
to walk the beach and do some (more) dyeing


---------------------

March
I designed this block pattern with my first fabric line,
Urban Artifacts.
Guess who it looks like...

To California for a visit to RJR Fabrics
first look at the digital swatches for Urban Garden
a peek in the warehouse

a visit with my aunt..
 feeding Tank, my aunt's desert tortoise

my beautiful aunt, who certainly doesn't look 90, does she?

and up to visit my friend Karen and a concert
Ricki Lee Jones and Madelyn Peyroux

back home and a performance of Alvin Ailey Dance.
I first saw them perform in the 70's.

Pomegranate blossoms

Quilt construction in-progress

----------------






1 comment:

I love to hear from my readers! Please drop me a line!