Saturday, February 4, 2012

Pieced House Block with a Twist

The SA Modern Quilt Guild has some sort of block challenge or swap every month.  This month was a funky house block.  These were supposed to be on gray, but I don't follow directions very well (ahem).
In my case, I didn't even LOOK at any directions.  Instead I jumped in and started swimming.
I had so much fun making my blocks I decided to share an idea with you.
I incorporated a little surprise:  a photo behind a zippered opening.


This is a piece of Spoonflower fabric (the photo).
The original photo was taken on my 1st birthday.


I like this idea so much I think I'll work up a few more blocks and put them together.
This one is gone, gone, gone, to Jordan, president of SAMQG, who won the block haul this month!
I had fun making this and will do a better step-out tute soon!


6 comments:

  1. I love this idea. Try to find ideas for my grandchildren's room. I wanted a family tree with pics, but not I think I will paint a tree and attach leaves with zippers in them with kids pic's inside. Oh, I got to get to work. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea, DCCT! I would really like to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, love the idea of having a "door" of sorts, to open up a surprise - fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 'locket' functionality makes this funky house block the envy of it's neighbors, for sure! Great blog, I'm now a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Shockgrubz. Great name BTW! This was a fun project and I plan to make some more. It seems like this would be a fun thing for a kid's quilt, or even a graduation-type memory quilt.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers! Please drop me a line!