Thursday, August 1, 2019

Improv HST workshop, and then a Design Project!

I took a workshop on using half-square triangle solids to create an improvisational composition with Nydia Kehnle when I was at QuiltCon 2019 in Nashville.  You may recognize Nydia's name as a pattern designer.  She designs the beautiful patterns seen on Alison Glass' website.

Initially, I was using pieces of solid fabric (both commercial and hand-dyed) that were scraps left over from other design projects.
Here is Nydia, showing how she simply "dives in" and gets a color story started.

She had a system that she used to separate her colors.
Eventually, I developed my own strategy (that had more to do with value than color, 
to be honest).
I used the 6.5" "Bloc Loc" ruler which made the trimming 100% easier.
Also:  I had a rotating square cutting mat which minimized moving the block around while trimming.
A quick web search of the Bloc Loc brand will take you to a variety of sellers.  These come in several sizes.  I recommend this tool!


Here is my first, and rather "under-whelming", effort.
I took this down and stacked the blocks for another day.

Weeks later at home I cleared a portion of my design walls
and started again.  It was clear that I needed a bunch more colors for making the 
transitions, with both color and value in mind.

I find it helpful, no matter the project, to use my mono setting on my phone camera to
check value.

Here is part of the development in the early stages....

More progress.
What I didn't document very well was how often I took things down and 
started over!

Closer... (sorry about the stack of fabric in the foreground.

Even at this stage I was taking blocks down and exchanging them, or sewing a new
color set to make a better color/value transition.

Piecing strategy:  I pieced each horizontal row, from left to right.
I put a safety pin in the upper left corner of the leftmost block.
I created a "stack" beginning at the right edge, on on top of the next,
for the entire row.
I took the stack to my sewing machine and sewed them together.
I pressed each set of seams for that row in alternating directions
(row one, all seams to the left, row two all seams to the right, etc.)

Once all the rows were pieced I joined two sets of rows at a time.
Then, two of those rows, then the two halves.
It was easier to minimize bulk and handling of the entire construction 
until that last seam (above)!

Here is the finished construction:  91 inches wide, 85 inches long.
I debated if I should add one more horizontal row but decided I was satisfied with how it looks.

It is off to the longarm quilter soon.
My plan is to use a low-loft wool bat for this quilt as it will most-likely be a useful one.

I'm calling this quilt "Prismatic Labyrinth".




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Please drop me a line!