Friday, April 19, 2013

Modern Guild Retreat

Here are a few shots from last weekend's San Antonio Modern Guild retreat near Smithville, Texas.
The retreat organizers did an amazing job of creating fun activities mixed in between all our hard work creating new things.  Everyone received very generous door prizes from our sponsors.  All-in-all, it was a great, exhausting weekend that was very productive.
I arrived Thursday afternoon.  Several of us came early to get a jumpstart on our work.  My goal was to fix one project, finish two that were underway, and piece yet another.  Ambitious, yes?
Gazing across the large room where we are set up for work.  Each participant has 
a 4x8 foot design wall and one and a half work tables.  Since I brought my Sew Ezi, I had more room!

I worked on this piece, the background for a quilt that I am creating for the MD Anderson ovarian cancer fundraising event.
I am paper-piecing hexi's, which will be part of a design to be appliqued to the surface of the 
MD Anderson piece.



Here is a Kaffe Fassett design, the first pattern I have constructed in decades, under construction.
I have always loved this quilt!  I made several mistakes as I do not follow written instructions very well.
The mistakes are plainly evident, and I like them very much.  Seriously.

It is quite large:  80-something inches by 70-something inches.

We were treated to a surprise champagne and strawberry toast late one evening!
Our toast?  The same as the Dinner At Eight toast, given to us by my dear friend, Rachel Parris.
It goes like this...
Here's to strong women:
May We Know Them
May We Raise Them
May We Be Them!


Next up:  Finish this big quilt top.
I had previously pieced the bright blocks in the upper right.
Now, my task was to embed the other blocks into a large negative space using a
Kaffe Fassett shot cotton color of gray.
Apparently I did not photograph this after finishing the quilt top.  I'll add an image later.

Here is my workspace:  messy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers! Please drop me a line!