I had a lot of fun making this piece because I wanted to create a black and white quilt with a play on the Day of the Dead. Usually anything I make for this theme is very brightly colored. Using only black and white gave me a specific challenge.
First, you must know that I collect commercially printed skeleton fabric, particularly Catrinas, those
skeletons dressed up in their finery. I have a "thing" about human skeletons, and, well, any type of bone. I understand why Georgia O'Keefe was so attracted to them. They are lovely and sculptural.
I get a huge kick out of Catrinas, so here we go.
Using a thermofax screen I printed over this black and white commercial cloth with opaque white paint.
I wanted the white paint to sort of "ghost" over the underlying print.
Once dry, I used my Pentel Gel Roller Fabric pen and outlined elements of the screen print.
It doesn't "read" well from a distance.
I'm fine with that.
I like the little surprise of discovering the additional printing when the viewer gets closer.
Using another thermofax screen I created, the skull/scissors was printed with
more white paint onto this lovely piece of Japanese cloth
Using the same thermofax screen, I printed black paint onto white cloth.
This was subsequenly fused on the back, then fussy cut.
Here is the quilt back...
The skeleton/scissors piece was fused in the center of the quilt.
After fussy-cutting the white cloth with black paint, I fused
segments around the central element.
I found this cool chain trim with black microsuede threaded through it.
Perfect for the roof accent (although I did not enjoy stitching it on)!
Next, I embellished the top with a variety of beads and metal objects.
I tied a variety of keys, etc., to the base with silk ribbon
There is SO much stitching on this quilt with both black and white thread,
and even I cannot see it! It is lost in all this pattern. Oh well...
Finished, except for a sleeve on the back!