Saturday, July 23, 2011

Empire State of Mind

I have almost finished another 16-inch square quilt to be auctioned off in a silent auction at City Quilter in New York City, as part of the events for "Quilters Take Manhattan".  This is going to be such a fun weekend!  If you can make it, please join us for the Saturday events.  I believe there are still a few tickets available.
During the cocktail party at City Quilter there will be a fun set of events, one of which is a silent auction.
This quilt, "Empire State of Mind" (thank you, Jay Z, for the inspiration and name), is a New York Beauty style of quilt.  I wanted to put an iconic building shape in the center, and of course the Chrysler building was my first pick.  It resembles the New York Beauty shape.
I sketched the building top, made a thermofax screen and lightly printed the image onto the deep pink silk dupioni cloth, then thread sketched it using free-motion quilting.  The quilt is entirely free motion quilted.  I really enjoyed making it.  As you can see, I have yet to stitch the binding on the back so there are many pins in place!  The quilt back is the same as the borders and binding.

 lower right corner
lower left

upper left

upper right

I wrote a paper about the history of the New York Beauty style of quilt, which should go live on the Quilt Index site very soon.  I've always been attracted to this particular style of quilt.  I think I might need to make a slightly larger one.

What is your favorite "traditional" pieced quilt style? 

6 comments:

  1. Leslie,
    This is fabulous! I love the quilting! and, I can't help myself, seeing it in multiple blocks with those Chrysler buildings making an X pattern between the circles. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! It's so NY!
    Happy quilting!
    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie,
    I love your work. The New York Beauties block is one of my very favorites, so I doubly love this quilt of yours. I wish I could be in NY to take part of the auction!
    I was wondering if it would be possible to get a copy of your paper on the history of the block? As it is one of my very favorites, I'd love to read on it.
    Thank you very much in advance, and best regards,
    Ana Buzzalino
    Calgary, Alberta
    Canada
    www.patchesandpaint.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ana!
    Thank you for your kind words about my little quilt!
    I am happy to report that it sold for a nice price which made money for the Alliance for American Quilts. The events in New York were really successful, and once I catch my breath I will be posting some images.
    I will be happy to email you as soon as I am aware of the paper going "live on the Quilt Index site.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers! Please drop me a line!