Experiment #1: Deconstructed screen printing on bamboo batting
these are the washed lengths of silk that I printed yesterday.
I'm pleased with how they turned out.
Here is a portion of a quilt top I put together this evening when I got home.
The cloth on the right edge is a rather unappealing length of silk that just happens
to be the exact same color as an element in my piece of Spoonflower cloth. Believe it or not, this image is a close-up of a limestone rock in my garden. When I look at it I think of a pelvic bone. Am I crazy? I see bones everywhere, I guess. I love them.
It is a bit uncanny how well the silk matches! The other surprise is that I have a mark from my poor attempt at binding the folded cloth for a shibori process that resembles a shape seen in the central part of the cloth. This is barely visible in this image. I'll get a better photo of it tomorrow in the studio. My design board is down, as are my lights, and I am too tired to do anything about it tonight!
I printed quite a bit more cloth today, but I'm not showing those images because they may or may not be included in the Quilting Arts article. Laura Beehler helped me take photos while I was printing today.
Thank you, Laura!! BTW she finished a jaw-droppingly gorgeous piece this afternoon. Oh my goodness.
There is a great deal of creative juice flowing at Art Cloth Studios this week. A lot of great experimentation with unfamiliar techniques, and a lot of "what if" going on. It is very exciting.